Health Science LEAP
If you are interested in exploring a career in nursing, then Pre-Nursing LEAP is a good choice for you. You’ll be part of a small student cohort, and you’ll have both a professor and a peer advisor to guide you through the year. Pre-Nursing LEAP is compatible with both the Honors Program and Nursing Early Assurance Program.
Fall Semester we’ll discuss cultural competency in nursing. How have health care professionals
perceived and attempted to bridge gaps between dominant and marginalized communities?
Spring Semester we’ll discuss bioethical issues through the framework of the humanities, in
order to situate health care within its essential human context. What is the right thing to do, and
how do you know?
These components and skills will help prepare you to apply to the baccalaureate nursing program:
- College of Nursing class visits
- Critical thinking and effective reading strategies
- Fluency in oral and written expression
- The ability to work effectively in teams
- Support from a librarian from Health Sciences Library
- 25 hours of service in a healthcare facility
- Opportunity to apply as a Peer Advisor the following year and gain leadership experience
Over two semesters you’ll earn the following credits:
Two Humanities (HF) credits
One Diversity (DV) credit
All credits fulfill the University's requirements for graduation.
Carolan Ownby, Phd
Health Science LEAP Fall 2019 Courses
|Class #||Subject||Cat #||Sec||Days||Time|