LEAP is a two semester seminar that enables new students to transition more confidently to college and to play an active role in their own education. Students work with outstanding faculty in small classes and participate in social and service activities with other students and with Peer Advisors.
LEAP is a two semester class in which students stay with the same classmates and faculty member.
The two semester seminar fulfills three general education requirements and the University’s diversity requirement for the cost of only two classes compared to three classes.
How big is the LEAP program?
LEAP has 30 sections taught by 11 faculty members. Roughly one out of every three incoming students elects to join the program.
Individual LEAP sections, however, are small. Most are capped at 35. Some sections are even smaller. A sophomore or junior-level Peer Advisor is assigned to each section and stays with that section throughout the year. Thus, students, Peer Advisors, and faculty all get to know each other well and are able to form a community within the wider LEAP community.
How will LEAP benefit me?
LEAP will prepare you to succeed in your future college work by actively engaging you as an individual and in teams to think analytically, creatively, and practically about issues important to the role of the citizen, nationally and globally.
- Improve your writing skills.
- Develop sophisticated library research strategies to complete assignments related to your LEAP classes which will also help you in your other classes.
- Connect with at least one professor. This is an important relationship when you need recommendations for awards, scholarships, internships, or jobs.
- Have a chance to get to know your classmates and Peer Advisor.
- Make progress on your general education requirements: completing two of these, as well as the University’s diversity requirement, by taking your fall and spring LEAP seminars.
- Become a LEAP Scholar by participating in two semesters of LEAP: you can earn scholarships, become a Peer Advisor, be eligible for a cord at graduation and more.
What are my options within the LEAP program?
All LEAP courses focus on the themes of diversity and community. There are ten program options to choose from.
How do I enroll in LEAP?
You enroll in LEAP at Orientation, when you enroll in your other classes. Visit the orientation website at https://orientation.utah.edu/ or call 581-7069 to sign up for your orientation time. LEAP fills on a first-come, first-served basis, so the earlier you attend Orientation, the wider your choice among LEAP options will be.